Monday, December 10, 2001

John Paul Jones defines 'progressive' rock (interview part 13 of 22)

This is the 13th part of the transcript of my interview with John Paul Jones, conducted Dec. 10, 2001.

SPS: It was actually about two years ago, October '99, you played in Philadelphia. During that live version of "Snake Eyes," I said, "Man, that is definitely some King Crimson influence right there."

JPJ:
Oh really?

SPS:
Yeah, just the way that it's so progressive and things like that. The instrumentation…

JPJ:
Well, we always used to think that Zeppelin was a progressive rock band until it became [laughing] a slightly dirty word. Well, we thought we played progressive rock. People asked, "What sort of band are you?" I said I had played progressively – progressive rock – thinking that it just meant forward-thinking as opposed to anything [inaudible, laughing]. But you're right, "Snake Eyes" was, oops. "Snake Eyes" was in its truest sense progressive rock. ... [laughing] And again, my only record on that label…

SPS:
I love trying to figure out how to play "Snake Eyes." I have perfect pitch, so things sort of come naturally, but I mean, when it's that discordant, it's tough.

JPJ:
Yeah, it’s tough.

SPS:
I once figured it out, but I've since forgotten. Sort of like, "What's Jimmy's symbol mean?" "I used to know."

JPJ:
Who knows? I don't think anybody knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated prior to publication. Comments will not be published if they are deemed vulgar, defamatory or otherwise objectionable.